English as a Second Language (ESL)
If you are a new student, you will need to be tested to determine what course level is most suitable for you. Please email Judith Mason to schedule an evaluation.
Our Princeton ESL Department offers a comprehensive educational program, with over 40 English courses in basic literacy, core classes (which integrate all four skills of reading, writing, listening and speaking), and skill-specific, enrichment classes like conversation, pronunciation, grammar, American culture, and citizenship.
The classes are designed for men and women with widely divergent language abilities and backgrounds. During registration, each student is assessed using a national standardized test in order to be placed in the most appropriate class for their skill level.
Students learn in an “immersion-type” atmosphere. In addition to classes, students are matched with tutors for free conversation classes, conducted by qualified community volunteers.
- Year-round with sessions starting in September, January and July
- Additional short-term classes are offered at various times during the year.
- Curriculum is designed for adult English language learners, from beginners to advanced students seeking skills for work readiness and (or) post-secondary education.
- Opportunities for daily drop-in conversation groups, one-on-one and small group conversation practice with community volunteers, etc. enhances classroom instruction and encourage language development.
- Workshops on topics of interest such as presentation skills, job search tips, and everyday survival skills are also included.
- Collaboration with the Princeton Public Library and Princeton University and offer our ESL students interaction with community members in an educational environment.
- Princeton campus is easily accessible by bus and car. Free, onsite parking
- Child care also available for children ages 8 weeks to 6 years old, and all classrooms are bilingual!
- Options to participate in trips to museums and area attractions
High School Equivalency Preparation: We also offer free classes that equip students to take and pass the exam necessary to obtain a New Jersey High School Diploma. Testing itself can be conveniently arranged at our on-siteHiSET® Testing Center.
Citizenship Preparation: For those on their way to becoming a US citizen, we offer free classes to prepare them for their naturalization interview. These classes are open to current students and community members. Classes provide all the information required for the process and give them the self-confidence for their naturalization interview.
Off-site Classes: For businesses and organizations that have a diverse, international workforce who may need to improves their language skills, our ESL program can be brought to your campus. From basic to advanced English classes to focused classes like conversation and pronunciation, the curriculum can be customized to meet the needs of your employees.
Placement Test: Students new to the program must make an appointment to take a short placement test before enrolling. Please call 609-497-2100, ext. 329, to make an appointment.
Book fees: Book fees generally average $25-$40 per class in addition to the tuition. Students must bring their own pens, pencils and notebooks for journal writing.